Monday, March 28, 2016

Spring!!

An early spring has sprung and I am already looking for wild flowers.  Last year I tried to get my colleagues out searching by keeping a running list of the newest wild flower finds, but no one else added to it.  I hope I was entertaining at least in my nerdiness.

As new green shoots are emerging I am energized by two things in my life.  One, my constant companion, Mannetjies Roux, my wonderful two year old German Shepard and two, a new vocation that is emerging.  I am taking a course to be a life-cycle celebrant so that I can officiate weddings, funerals, baby welcomings, divorce celebrations.  A cradle to grave service if you will.

Mannetjies ("little man" in Afrikaans) continues to be a joy as we go hiking and exploring.  We are also learning how to do "nose work" which is a layperson's version of being a sniffer dog.  It is fun finding "hides" and he is very bold in going into places, knocking things over or going up on things to find the hide.  We are learning how to work as a team as he has to let me know what's going on.  We have a great trainer who has helped us improve our connection.
Mr Man, Ph.D. in coolness

My newest adventure also focuses on joy and connection.  I have started a program through the Celebrant Foundation to become a life-cycle celebrant.  I already have a wedding in August!!  It's a wonderful way to connect with people and I can bring in my theatrical background and do more writing!  All good!  I doubt anyone would want me to play the mandolin at their ceremony just yet, but I'm thinking the wine making hobby could fit in nicely as a wedding gift!  Haven't tasted my first batch.  I think I will wait a month or two.

No matter what, life keeps coming up with opportunities to say, YES!  I want to stay open to them!
Joyful Boys


 

2 comments:

  1. I think those little monks is my favorite all time photo. So much going on for you and the little man (little?) .... I cant wait to hear how the wedding goes..its so much fun to do! You are gonna be spectacular at Im sure... just cuz youre looking so forward to it yourself I suspect! THanks for the post my friend... see you manana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (as I always say, when encountering a post that refers to or otherwise references a dog), dogs are perfect lifeforms.
    (to me) they represent the quality of energetically engaging the here and now... nothing abstract or distant or disconnected with the world, if anything the opposite. The ( as I see them) engage (their) world without reservation
    very cool

    ReplyDelete