Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Perfect moments

     I packed for winter in Africa.  What is that?  The days are sunny and April-day warm.  The nights are bone chilling.  I have been seen wearing my winter hat and a blanket while sitting in the lounge (that's the livingroom for all you Americans)  I almost hugged an oil-filled heater last night!  During the flight here I had my first opportunity on the trip for cultural assumptions to be put on hold.  My seatmate on the plane from Dubai was a 25 year old Pakastani man.  This was his 2nd time flying, the first being when he left his already grieving mother at home that morning.  He was leaving all he knew to work in South Africa, possibly for 6 months, possibly for 2 years.  He consoled his mother on the cell phone until we were ready to take off.  His english was limited, but he said his God, mother and father would be with him whereever he was.  I found it awkward because he wanted to practice his English and I did not want to get into the fact that I would be meeting my female spouse and her family.  Nor did I want to challenge his comments about women wearing scarves.  I felt this was not the time for him to have his world shaken and I wanted a relaxing flight.  So, we sat amicably together.  He spent a much of the flight encased in the Air Emirates blanket, his long skinny legs tucked  underneath him and a big, happy smile on his face.  We chatted a bit.  I watched Mary Poppins and didn't feel self-conscious watching my own Disney version of Bollywood.  Chim chimney, chim chimney, chim chim cheroo...
     Our first delivery of donations has been made to The Fold, a children's home in the Waterberg region of Limpopo.  Orphaned and "vulnerable" children live in 2 homes with  house parents.  Only 6-8 kids in each so it is homey and focus can be given to each child for learning self-care, responsibility in the house and cooperation.  We brought some clothing from our wonderful friends and school and art supplies funded by more friends.  Several of the younger children were there with their house mother and her assistants.  The kids were full of smiles and eager to hug us after being introduced.  They posed for pictures and sang us a song.  I will attach a photo after I get permission from the orphanage director. The littlest one, all of 2 years, had wild red hair and had a hard time putting the jump rope back in the bag.  I gave her a hug so she could feel better, but also to say thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Hey we miss you guys! It sounds like some interesting climates. Say hi to your for me! Im so glad you got to the children already, it seems such a lovely experience. Im gonna post your post in the kitchen in the AM. Miss you both! Love, me

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha...say hi to your_____for me...your new giraffe? Your rhino? Your mother in law ( well okay...) but no....say hi to your wife for me! Hate typos!

    ReplyDelete